post updated Jan 2018
I have scoured the web for the best great headlines, free report titles and free optin offer offers! Having looked at HUNDREDS of sites to write this post, I have a couple of observations…
First as I was looking for great headlines in areas NOT of interest to me, I can tell you unilaterally, no matter how great your offer is, if they don’t NEED what you are offering, they won’t ever sign up, buy or take the next step.
Second be really niche-y! Don’t try to succeed at “weight loss” or “make money”. There isn’t something that you could present that will make everyone want what you have. Niche it down to something that would appeal to your perfect client or customer.
Lastly, there is A LOT of opportunity out there! I did this in order to be able to write better free offer headlines and I thought, “there is A LOT of competition”. In actuality, the majority of top websites and blogs don’t have any opt-in or data capture going on. Some have pop-ups that appear immediately (I ignored them until I learned more about the site), some have only social media opt-ins (good but definitely not the end game), and a few had a great free offer (a very few!)
Some Universal needs you can target:
- Make money
- Save money
- Lose weight
- Get respect
- Don’t get ripped off
- Save time
- Protect your family
- Stay young, anti aging
- Personal development
How To Headlines
This is a way to present that starts with the readers’ need and ends with a benefit to them. In this model you start with How To [X] That Gets You [X].
- How win friends and influence people (dale carnegie)
- How to winterize your house and cut your monthly payments in half
- How to give your children extra iron — these 3 delicious ways (copyblogger.com)
- How do you monetize your content and expertise online today? I’ll show you how. (brendonburchard.com)
- Discover how to slow down the aging process with expert skin care tips (clarinsusa.com)
- How often do you say to yourself, “I should have started that last week”. How to stay on track in an always on world.
Tips and Tricks (the “Secret”)
No one really knows why people are so obsessed with learning a “secret”. Knowing the unknown is a universal human need and one we can use effectively to get people onto your list.
- The secret of how to get 6 pack abs with no situps
- Little known ways to reduce your electric bills
- Secrets of the “free” home security system (thealarmcompany.com)
- Learn secrets most men will never know about women and dating (doubleyourdating.com)
- Forget The Free Crap, Discover The Truth About Google Plus Powerful Secrets Nobody Knows | Shocking Mistakes Everybody Makes This Is How It’s Really Done… (googlingsocial.com)
- The top 5 digital marketing tools for local businesses (hint: the 3 best are free) (leadpages.net)
- Discover how to describe what you do in a confident way that excites you and attracts clients -> finally (mainstreammediasavvy.com)
- Get the shocking FREE report “top 10 mistakes men make with women” (lovesystems.com)
- Free book gives you 10 unheard of ways to lose belly fat
- 10 steps to building a bulging bank account (tommi wolfe)
- Free recording offers 10 ways to beat the high cost of remodeling
- 5 unbelievable ideas for making money
- 100 great call to action examples (marketingartfully.com)
- 25 can’t fail life saving ideas
- 56 ways to market your business on pinterest (copyblogger)
- Discover the 39 essential tools needed to map out your goals, maximize your effectiveness, and win control of your time and your life (mindtools.com)
- The 15 poker secrets every professional knows (pokerlistings.com)
- The only 3 pieces of exercise equipment you need in your home (hint: they all weigh less than 5 pounds) (leadpages.net)
- 10 leads a day formula – discover the 10 leads a day formula using the power of Youtube (reelmarketinginsider.com)
You have to be willing to rock the nerdy to like these, but after reading all the rest, these are my favorites!
- Small step for man, giant gaffe for NASA (AP)
- Going once, going twice, going to be confiscated (dan kelley)
- Is this the rail price, is this just fantasy, caught up in land buys, no escape from burecracy! (ulster gazette)
- Nature’s 4 letter words: Wind, hail, rain (collier times)
- Sneezy? Grumpy? If you visit Disney, use new sanitizers (jason garcia)
- Tiger Woods plays with own balls, Nike says (AP)
- Federal agents raid gun shops, find weapons (brian barber)
- Statistics show that teen pregnancy drops significantly after age 25 (mary ann tebedo)
- Man accused of killing lawyer receives a new attorney (sun staff writer)
- Gordon Ramsey sex dwarf eaten by badger (outrageous isn’t always good!)
Doing What Others Can Do
I think this is a real sleeper one, sort of like the secret but showing that it it is possible because someone else has done it before you!)
- Now you can swim like Michael Phelps!
- Find out how we made over 6 figures doing affiliate marketing last year
- I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks by eating this one super food!
- Give me 10 days and I will show you how to swing like tiger woods
- Advice to wives whose husbands don’t save money – by a wife (victor scwab)
- Real results for real people. You’ve seen my results on TV. Look at the success my members are having right now: (jillianmichaels.com)
- Resource Guide: The top sites we use to get traffic and dominate the search engines (number 4 may surprise you)
- Are you ever shy on a date? 3 tricks I use that make me the life of the party
- Who else wants to be happily married?
- Why some people seem to be able to lose weight and the three things they share in common
- When top marketers want to make fast money, this is what they do
- Who ever heard of getting skinny without exercise? Find out how one woman lost 40 pounds sitting on her couch
The One Thing You Need To Do
- The one thing you must do to make more money
- The one thing that will make a huge difference in your weight loss efforts
- Imagine—achieving ALL your goals quickly and easily! download this free e-book and discover the exact formula for goal setting success! (briantracy.com)
- Make women want you…this one weird technique turns them on so fast it should be banned (online-dating-tips.org)
- The ultimate guide to…
- Now you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight!
- Claim an incredible 100% bonus up to $747 on your first two deposits!! (manhattenslots.com)
- Which of these $2.50 to $5 best sellers do you want for only $1 each? (victor schwab)
- Free presentation reveals a somewhat unusual tip to get a flatter belly while still eating the foods you love (fatlossfactor.com)
- Would you like me to personally double, triple, or even quadruple your business…for free? (frankkern.com)
- Click here to watch amazing transformational videos (charlesdangelo.com)
- Use this weird technique to make any girl kiss you… (mensbestdatingtips.com)
- 100% guaranteed way to make twice as much money in half the time
- It seems incredible that you can get all these tips for just $7.99, but it is true!
Cataclysmic Properties or Opportunities
- Unstoppable forces will either propel you to victory or bury you on page 2-3-4 of Google’s search results (perrymarshall.com)
- Do you make these 7 fatal mistakes when buying facebook ads?
- Is the life of a child worth $1 to you? (victor schwab)
- Important news for those who recently quit smoking…here’s the fastest and easiest way to clean your lungs of the poisonous tar and dangerous toxin build-up that could eventually lead to premature lung disease, cancer, or even death! (howtoquitstopsmoking.com)
- Be prepared to be shocked – take the real age test today. The results may just surprise you. (sharecare.com)
- The sex food so potent priests were forbidden to eat it (infomarketingblog.com)
You Deserve It
- Get the body you know you deserve…introducing Richard’s new 90 day progressive workout system (richardsimmons.com)
- Get exclusive access to the best bars, restaurants, shops, parties and more in Las Vegas…sign up for deals, memberships, invites and special offers (askmen.com)
- You deserve the luxury of a cadillac
- LinkedIn marketing mistakes, how to avoid missing great marketing opportunities on LinkedIn (linkedintelligence.com)
- How much lifetime & money will YOU save by quitting smoking? Beat the Nicodemon at his own game with our FREE quit-smoking program! (quitnet.com)
- Stop losing money…10 vital NL holdem’ tips
- If your website crashed today, would you be up and running in minutes or weeks?
- 50 fool proof ways to make your kids happy on a rainy day
- Stop wasting money on training that doesn’t work, this one course changed my whole marketing plan and made me a social media rockstar
- The one little mistake that can cost you $2,000 a year
- Stop getting ripped off: why consumers get screwed, and how you can always get a fair deal (bob sullivan – book title)
- There is finally an easy way to stop getting ripped off at the hospital (finance.yahoo.com)
- Do you make these mistakes in english (victor schwab)
- Do you have these symptoms of entrepreneur failure?
The Exact Amount
Putting exact numbers into your headline gives it credibility and makes you want to find out more!
- [FREE Webinar] learn the marketing system these guys used to increase their business by 832% (mandmmonsters.com)
- Learn how these guys grew from $0 to $2,000,000! – Free Webinar TOMORROW (mandmmonsters.com)
- My #1 tip for writing great email newsletters, blog posts, recording videos and more! (marketingartfully.com)
- Reduce wrinkles & rejuvenate skin. See results in as little as 10 days. (auroskin.us)
- Facelift through exercise. Erase 10 years in 15 minutes a day. Eliminate wrinkles, jowls and more! (carolynsfacialfitness.com)
- 4 AMAZING events to help you grow your business FAST in May 2013 (thecoloradoconnector.com)
- Starting off with $56,000 in debts… a young divorced mother tells how she became a millionaire in only 34 months. Here she explains how you can start earning enough money easily to retire a millionaire in 5-8 years…(numatek.com)
- You can master AdWords in 4 weeks with the most thorough A To Z training we’ve ever offered. I guarantee minimum 30% improvement in your performance or your money back (perry marshall)
- Using your systems, my sales have increased by 215%
- Skin that looks younger in 48 hours or your money back
- Download pregnancy miracle ebook Now! (liked the testimonials section too here…Hey, Don’t Believe Me! Believe What Others Said! These Are Several of Awesome Testimonials From Our Satisfied Customers! (howtogetpregnantfastt.blogspot.com)
- Small Business Marketing Guide: 100 Free Marketing Ideas
- Resource Guide: the top 5 techniques to getting a man fast
- Buyers Guide: How to avoid getting ripped off by the copier companies
- How To Look Younger: 11 natural ways to look younger without surgery (nowloss.com)
- Free report reveals…the 5 (dirt cheap) tools I use to create all my videos (including my $80 HD video camera) (leadpages.net)
- Free report: Why go mobile. (worth $27) Discover how smart business owners are making tons of money by adopting the right mobile marketing strategies.
- 7 important things you must consider before choosing a health retreat. (Natural Attitudes)
There you have it! My 100 Great Free Report Titles, Best Headlines and Free Optin Offers.
Additional Copywriting Resources:
I LOVE Funnel Scripts for all my copywriting. Makes it so fast and easy! (#promo)
Get The “How To Build An Email Marketing Campaign” Guide
Auto Responders, Drip Campaign, Internet Marketing and Sales…If you have ever sat down to create an email marketing campaign you know the feeling of…hmm wonder what I should write, how should I order it and how do I track what I have already gotten done.
I know I have! Which is why I made this email marketing campaign form! It takes you though all the steps of doing an email campaign including:
>> Get it now!
Filed Under: blogging, internet marketing, lead generatingTagged With: internet marketing, lead generation
Send this post to your friend on:
Turn content into leads & sales!
- content marketing that converts
- tips and tricks
- cases and examples
Sign up and get the latest information
Catchy headlines can make or break your content. There are infinite ways to write a headline. You can combine the principles of headlines to get even more possibilities. In the following post, I will give you tips and tricks have proven themselves for many years. Next time you have to write a catchy headline, use these easy and powerful headline formulas.
One of the most valuable habits you can have is a Daily Writing Habit!To help you get started we have created a 30 day long email program that will keep you on track. Every day for the next 30 days we will send you a writing prompt. As this is a social media and content marketing site we’ll send you prompts about these topics. But occasionally we add some free writing and other stuff, too.
Sign up for your 30-day writing challenge.
Great headlines give you an edge and convince your audience to read and respond to your copy. These headline examples will inspire you to get creative and write headlines that work for you.
Good headlines will make people click your content. They will also read longer and share even without reading.
On the average, 5 times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent 80 cents out of your dollar. – David Ogilvy
First I will start with seven general principles:
1. Keep it simple and direct
Direct headline goes straight to the heart of the matter. Do not try to sound intriguing or clever. Direct headlines don’t try to explain, play with words, or make a joke. Get to the point! Use for strong offers bringing out clear benefits of products and services.
- FREE eBook from X (a recognized brand name)
- The Ultimate Guide to Catchy Headlines
- Pure Leather Jackets – 30% OFF
Grammarly spelling and grammar checkerGrammarly is probably the best spelling and grammar checker around. Apart from being able to spot errors other grammar-checking apps can’t, it will also help you optimize your text and make it more readable. Make it a habit to run your text through Grammarly, as it will turn you into a better writer.
Find out how to get those typos fixed!
2. State clearly what’s the big benefit
Always transform the benefit that your post offers into a headline. The readers want to satisfy a certain need. The promise in your headline motivates them to click and read. The headline has to convince them that tour content contains the answers. Put the big benefit in your headline, and they will read your copy. To create a headline like this you need to know your target audience. The result is that even if they don’t visit your website, they’ve at least seen your best selling point.
- Fast and Easy Way to Cook Delicious Chicken Breasts
- Blog Your Way to a New Career
- Make Your Own Creative E-cards in Minutes
3. Announce exciting news
It’s in our nature to be curious. Bring the exciting news to your readers in the headline, and it will grab their attention. What you discuss in the post doesn’t have to be a new topic it can just be a new way of presenting existing material. Cover recent events, with images, takeouts, interviews, etc.
The same applies when writing headlines for product or service advertising copies. You can introduce new options, offers, discounts, and pricing strategies. Write attractive headlines that imply news to the reader.
- At Last, The New iPhone 7 Is In the Stores!
- Introducing the newest idea in distant learning from X
- Top SEO Trends from the Past 6 Months
4. Appeal to you reader’s “how-to” instinct in the headline
Most people want to improve their life in some way. You can write a headline that focuses on these needs and wants we have and promise to fulfill them. Make sure the headline highlights the final benefit or result.
Do not include the process into the headline since it tends to sound like a lot of work. Target the end result and reader’s real motivations.
Headline examples: instead of How to start a full-time home job? write How to make money while working from home?
- How to stop smoking right now and never start again
- How to Profit from the 3 Best Service Businesses of the Decade!
- Write headlines that make people share your content
5. Ask a provocative question in the headline
Questions get your readers involved. Using questions in a headline can’t be random or clever. A question in the headline should relate directly, and to the story, your post tells. In the case of products and services, you offer the question needs to tie into their major benefits.
Questions in the headline should make the reader answer with Yes!
- Do you want to know the top 5 mistakes most bloggers make?
- Your boss wants to see you in his office? Read this!
- What to do with your dog on a rainy day?
11 Great Content Marketing Books on WritingGreat content, that moves people to act or makes them sit up and take notice, is what I’m really after. There are a lot of excellent how-to books out there that have done wonders for my skills.
Take a look at the reading list
6. Tell your reader what to do
Create a headline with a command in it! Be direct, provide a benefit, and tell your readers what they need to do in a way that’s acceptable to them. These headlines aren’t conversational and have proven very effective. Commands make people ask “why.” So you have to command them to do something to get a benefit.
- Stop wasting money on web design. Create your Website in minutes.
- Stop writing and become the best blogger in 30 days
- Subscribe to our service and get X for free
7. Offer useful information
You might think that people are eager for more information. This isn’t completely true. What readers want isn’t more information. They want results and solutions to the issue at hand. Practical tricks, steps, hints, rules that lead to results, a sense of order and predictability. Something that will help them reach their goals.
Your readers will appreciate if you offer value in the headline and deliver as promised in the content.
- 10 Most Important Steps to Living Longer
- The best-kept secrets of cooking
- Ways to end your money problems for good.
One more thing before we continue! There’s an awesome tool from coschedule.com that helps you hone your headlines to perfection: Blog Post Headline Analyzer. But that’s not all! If you want concrete examples and formulas to create catchy headlines I will show you 9+1 simple formulas to create killer headlines that work every time:
9 Formulas to Create Awesome Headlines + You
Interestingly, a lot of your shares come from people who just read the catchy title. What makes the headline informative and intriguing enough for people to click and share? There are repeatable formulas for that.
Make your headline to stand out and make people click. Here are nine formulas that help you write headlines that make people pay attention, read more, and share.
The Complete Digital Marketing Course 2018Grow your own business from scratch. Make better decisions on how to market your business. Upgrade your digital marketing skills for a new job or career change. Earn good money for digital marketing jobs on freelance sites. This must have course has a 4.4 rating out of 18,215 ratings with more than 131 thousand students enrolled.
12 Courses in 1
Take a look at the Instagram marketing course
1. Who else wants [something]?
A classic headline format that is built on social proof. By beginning with “who else wants” you show that people already do want.
- Who else wants to work less and get paid more?
- Who else wants a free social media marketing training?
- Who else wants to work from home and get $500 per day?
2. [Number] Secret(s) of [something]
Another great headline formula is playing on your curiosity. Who wouldn’t want to know the secret? The reader assumes that they get access to inside information and this makes the headline work.
- Secret of successful blogging
- Secret of effective time management
- 10 Secrets of better search engine rankings
3. Here’s how [somebody] [does something]
Simple, straightforward, personal. Make readers recognize themselves by replacing [somebody] with your target audience. Make sure [something] is a benefit they want to achieve.
- Here’s how marketers get results from social media
- Here’s how women can look younger
- Here’s how you can get more leads.
4. [Number] Little known methods [to do something]
Similar to the “secrets” and “how to” but works on the idea that if it’s little know then you may get an advantage over the people who do not know.
- Little known methods to gain more followers
- 8 little-known methods to avoid stress
- Little known method to reduce your gas consumption
5. [Number] quick solution (or ways) to [something]
Instant gratification! Most people want things to happen yesterday and headlines that promise fast results get our attention.
- 5 quick ways to fix your search engine rankings
- Fast solutions to your money problems
- 10 quick methods to get rid of spam comments
6. Now you can have [good thing] and [other good thing]
These are two good things that have not been previously possible together. Who wouldn’t want the cake and eat it, too?
- Now you can have your Mac and use Chrome
- Now you can eat more and lose weight
- Now you can beat the pros without hard work
7. How to do [something] like [world class example]
Identify what your target audience wants and combine that with the best example. You can also use a number in this headline to give a list of more than one way of doing things.
- How to blog like Seth Godin
- How to dominate the market like Microsoft
- How to sing like Robbie Williams
8. All you need to know about [something]
This headline implies that there’s not much effort involved and intrigues people to find out more.
- All you need to know about Facebook advertising
- Everything you need to know about getting fit
- All that you need to know about writing headlines
9. [Number] [superlative] [something]
People love lists! Lists are easy to scan and read. List of X best things works like a magnet if you know what your audience is interested in.
- 6 Insightful Social Media Video Interviews
- 22 Inspiring Examples of Facebook Page Designs
- 15 Must-See Interactive Youtube Ads
10. Add You!
Here’s a bonus idea that will make all these headlines even better: make the headlines personal by adding just one little word – you.
Find out more about headlines, titles and copywriting here:
Image: The Anxious Type JD Hancock
Image: “Funny Camden Chronicle headline MACHETE ATTACK MANIAC HUNTED” by Cory Doctorow
Social Media Marketing 2018, PPC on 10+ Platforms.Learn how to market via Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Google and more advertising platforms! This must have course has a 4.7 rating out of 1,226 ratings with more than 12 thousand students enrolled.
Take a look at the social media marketing course
Send this post to your friend on:
Turn content into leads & sales!
- content marketing that converts
- tips and tricks
- cases and examples
Sign up and get the latest information